Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Kids Want Me off the Ladder

"So what if the kids want me off the ladder!"  

Well...there I was trying to tell her about our gutter screens and the answer she gave was surprising.  "I've been cleaning my own gutters all my life." she said. "There's no reason why I can't keep doing it."

I just stared in disbelief...So did her husband.

"I don't know why they're so worried about me." She said.  

"Well, your house is two stories tall" I replied, "It is kind of dangerous"

"I'm always careful...I just scoot on my backside when I'm on the high parts" She said.

At this point I realized that the situation was beyond my normal "I'm here to give an estimate" so I decided to follow my gut and tell her, "My grandma is 82 years old too!" I said, "If she were on the ladder cleaning her gutters I would have to ask her to stop.  I would go clean them for her personally or put some Leaf Solution on them or get one of my cousins or something.  I can't imagine how horrible it would be to hear that she passed away because she was cleaning her gutters."

I went away feeling two things:
1. Someone should have helped this lady with her gutters years ago
2. I hope I have the drive that she has when I'm 82


No comments:

Post a Comment